The History of Axwell Park
Axwell Park was created in the eighteenth century as the seat of the Clavering family, although they had connections with the land as far back as 1629.
The focal point of the Estate, Axwell Hall, is a nationally important jewel of Palladian architecture and for this reason is listed by English Heritage Grade II*, acknowledging its status as one of the top 8% most important buildings in the UK. It was built in 1758 for Sir Thomas Clavering, the Seventh Baronet of Axwell, to the designs of James Paine - one of England’s most notable architects of the period.
The Estate itself was laid out in the informal ‘English Landscape’ style advocated by William Kent and his student Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown and elements of it can still be seen today. Over the next century and a half the Estate was embellished with a remodelling of the Hall and the addition of a garden temple (since lost) to the designs of John Dobson and later, the creation of a pleasure ground at the instigation of Henry Augustus Clavering, the Tenth (and last) Baronet.
Until the mid-twentieth century, a traditional arrangement of coach houses and stabling stood beside Axwell Hall. Built to complement the grand Hall, it reflected the Palladian architectural style so much in vogue in the middle of the eighteenth century.
From the end of the Great War, when the contents of the house were sold, the Estate declined and was eventually sold in 1920 to be used as the site for the Newcastle Ragged School. By the end of the Twentieth Century the Hall was derelict and the Park neglected.
The current owners and developers first acquired the Hall and Park in 2005 and began the painstaking process of restoration.